In the midst of a unique back-to-school season, CBC unveils new fall programming for kids and tweens across all platforms, including CBC Kids, CBC Kids News and the free CBC Gem streaming service. The new programming further exemplifies CBC’s ongoing commitment to connecting with young audiences across the country by providing content that inspires, entertains and educates.
- New titles join the CBC Kids fall schedule this week, appealing to preschoolers and airing each morning, Mondays through Saturdays. CBC Kids programming begins at 7 a.m. local (8 a.m. in Fredericton) on weekdays and 6 a.m. local on Saturdays and Sundays on CBC and the free CBC Gem streaming service. Highlights of the schedule include:
- THE ADVENTURES OF PADDINGTON (52×11, HeyDay Films and StudioCanal, United Kingdom; airs Monday-Saturday at 7:30 a.m. and 9:30 a.m.) is a new version of a familiar bear — a heartwarming show about being curious, being good to others, and being part of a loving family. Each episode will take a lead from Michael Bond’s original books and, with the spirit of the new Paddington movies, tell all-new Paddington stories in a refreshed animated form. Featuring the voice of Ben Whishaw (Mary Poppins Returns, Paddington and Paddington 2) as Paddington.
- REMY & BOO (52×11, Industrial Brothers and Boat Rocker Studios in association with Universal Kids, CBC Kids and Radio-Canada, Canada; airs Monday-Saturday at 9 a.m.) is a 3D animated series about the unique friendship between adventurous six-year-old girl Remy and an incredible, squishy pink robot called Boo. Fueled by Remy’s indomitable spirit and Boo’s can-do attitude, their days in Dolphin Bay are filled with new adventures big and small, powered by two strong imaginations.
- LOVE MONSTER (54×7, Boat Rocker Studios in association with CBeebies and UYoung, United Kingdom/Canada/China; airs Monday-Saturday at 9:11 a.m.) is a quirky 2D animated comedy series full of heart, based on the bestselling series of books by award-winning British author and illustrator Rachel Bright. The series follows the colourful and funny adventures of hairy hero Love Monster as he searches for the right thing to do in a world where he is one of a kind.
- CBC Kids mainstay STUDIO K (airs Monday-Sunday throughout the CBC Kids lineup) continues with new, original, upbeat content for preschoolers, including Rock ‘N’ Roll Rhymes, Makeup Monster’s Mashup Machine, a Studio K Safari, and the Back-to-School Rap.
- Offering viewers a weekly party with the hosts of STUDIO K from the comfort of home, CBC KIDS STUDIO K PLAYDATE is now available live each Thursday at 4 p.m. ET through October 1 on the CBC Kids’ Facebook page. Each episode will have something fun to watch, listen to or play, as well as games and good times with Janaye, Tony and Mr. Orlando. Find the full schedule here.
- KNSPORTS WITH ABIGAIL AND ARJUN is CBC Kids News’ new monthly sports show. Hosted by KN contributors Abigail Dove and Arjun Ram, the show features the most topical and newsworthy sports stories, posted on the last Monday of each month. Segments include a round-up of the top stories across the leagues, interviews with athletes and sports newsmakers, and the KNSPORTS quiz where Arjun and Abigail battle it out to show who is the sports pro. In addition, each week CBC Kids News asks kids to weigh in via Instagram on their favourite recent sports highlights, and the top pick is later revealed on KNSPORTS.
- CBC Kids News will be hosting a BACK-TO-SCHOOL CHECK-IN special across multiple platforms in the coming weeks. Kids will be able to share their back-to-school experiences, explore interactive spaces, and meet members of the CBC Kids News team as well as guest celebrities. More info to come; visit cbckidsnews.ca for updates.
- Season 1 of comedy-drama ALMOST NEVER (13×30, Saltbeef TV, United Kingdom) begins streaming Friday, September 11, and charts the ups and downs of boy band The Wonderland as they juggle home life, school and relationships alongside their dreams of pop stardom. It’s a story of family and friendship, loyalty and dreaming big.
- Season 2 of CBC Gem original scripted kids’ series DETENTION ADVENTURE (10×11, LoCo Motion Pictures/Broken Compass Films, Canada) receives its Canadian premiere on Friday, October 2, with all episodes launching on CBC Gem. The new episodes pick up eight months later — the seasons have changed, and so have our heroes. A little older, a little taller, and accompanied by a new friend they battle cold snowy nights and a mysterious foe while searching for the lost fortune of Ignatius Cockshutt.
- All episodes of MALORY TOWERS (13×30, WildBrain and King Bert Productions, Canada/United Kingdom) are available now on CBC Gem. Set in the 1940s and based on the iconic six-book series by Enid Blyton, MALORY TOWERS follows 12-year-old Darrell’s (Ella Bright) dreams of adventure and independence at an all-girls boarding school.