ACCLAIMED FROM AROUND THE WORLD
- TRIGONOMETRY (Drama, 8×45, United Kingdom) Begins streaming Friday, July 3 *Exclusive Canadian Premiere*
Gemma (Thalissa Teixeira, The Musketeers) and Kieran (Gary Carr, Downton Abbey) love each other deeply but find life in London wearing them, and their bank account, down. To keep afloat they welcome a lodger, Ray (Ariane Labed, The Lobster), into their small London flat, and it turns out Ray is the missing piece of the puzzle. Together Gemma, Kieran and Ray just work; it’s effortless, they’re made for each other. But underneath the in-jokes and nights out is a gravitational pull. Each of them knows their relationship is becoming far more than a close friendship, leaving them to question whether they can live and love as a trio, or if life (and lots of overthinking) will get in the way. Award-winning filmmaker Athina Rachel Tsangari (Attenberg, Chevalier) directed the first five episodes, which received their World Premiere at the 2020 Berlin International Film Festival.
- FORTITUDE Season 2 (Drama, 10×60, United Kingdom) Begins streaming Friday, July 10
On the Norwegian Arctic island of Fortitude, things appear calm on the surface, but a string of violent and increasingly strange deaths slowly exact a toll on the quiet international community where almost everyone appears to be keeping at least one secret. Starring Dennis Quaid (Far from Heaven), Ken Stott (The Hobbit Trilogy), Parminder Nagra (The Blacklist), Robert Sheehan (Misfits), Michelle Fairley (Game of Thrones), and Sienna Guillory (Resident Evil).
- FREAKS AND GEEKS (Comedy, 18×45, United States) Begins streaming Friday, July 17
The universal experience of teenagehood as lived by the regular old freaks and geeks in a Michigan high school, circa 1980, is the subject of this wistful comedy-drama executive-produced by Emmy®-winner Judd Apatow (The King of Staten Island, This is 40) and series creator Paul Feig (Bridesmaids, A Simple Favor). Starring James Franco, Linda Cardellini, Seth Rogen, Busy Philipps and Jason Segel.
- CHEWING GUM Season 1 (Comedy, 6×30, United Kingdom) Begins streaming Friday, July 24
Before current buzz-worthy series I May Destroy You, Michaela Coel created and starred in the brazen comedy Chewing Gum, about Tracey Gordon, a 24-year-old religious Beyoncé-obsessed virgin. Growing up through the church, with her strict preacher Mother, Tracey has ended up rather ‘underdeveloped’ in certain areas – but she wants more. Tracey embarks on her journey into adulthood, crashing her way through what she should and shouldn’t be doing.
- LINE OF DUTY Season 3 (Drama, 6×60, United Kingdom) Begins streaming Friday, July 24
The hit police thriller is back with a brand new investigation in this much-anticipated third season of LINE OF DUTY, taking another probing look at modern policing and corruption within the force. Daniel Mays (Common, Public Enemies) plays Sergeant Danny Waldron, the highly proficient leader of an Armed Response Unit whose unpredictable behaviour is becoming a threat to colleagues and suspects. When AC-12 are called in to investigate Danny’s conduct, even they could find themselves in the firing line.
- YOUNG AND PROMISING Season 3 (Dramedy, 6×30, Norway) *Canadian Premiere* Begins streaming Friday, July 24
When do you go from being young and full of potential to over the hill and pathetic? In the heart of Oslo, three girls are trying their best to break into their careers and adulthood. Life in Oslo offers commitments, anxiety, self-sabotage, sex, love, and an undying ambition for something more than a “normal” life. As they keep trying and failing, the girls discover that pretty much everyone, including their parents, have no idea what they’re actually doing with their lives.
CBC GEM ORIGINAL COMEDIES
- DECOYS (Comedy, 6×10, Canada) *World Premiere* Begins streaming Friday, July 17
DECOYS is a comedy series set inside the world of competitive Duck Decoy carving. Specifically, the series focuses on the events and participants of the Northern Alberta Duck Decoy Carving Competition held annually in Lloydminster, Alberta.
- THE NEW WAVE OF STANDUP (Comedy, 12×10, Canada) *World Premiere* Begins streaming Friday, July 17
A dozen of Canada’s hottest new comics gather for one hilarious night of standup as part of JFL NorthWest, Vancouver’s Just for Laughs Festival. Each rising star headlines their own 10-minute episode. Featuring Cassie Cao, Salma Hindy, Ola Dada, Paul Rabliauskas and Yumi Nagashima, among other breakout stars, THE NEW WAVE OF STANDUP is as diverse as it is funny.
- ANGELIQUE’S ISLE (Drama, 1×90, Canada) *CBC Films* Begins streaming Saturday, July 18
ANGELIQUE’S ISLE is a story about love and survival. Abandoned on a deserted island with her voyageur husband, Charlie (Charlie Carrick, V), Angelique (Julia Jones, Westworld), an Anishinaabe woman, finds her faith tested as she fights starvation, the elements, and the treacherous Lake Superior.
- THE GRAND SEDUCTION (Dramatic Comedy, Canada) Begins streaming Saturday, July 25
A funny and fresh English-language adaptation of the 2003 Québécois comedy La grande séduction, the film tells the tale of a small fishing village in Newfoundland that must secure a new doctor in order to keep the community alive. When city doctor Paul Lewis (Taylor Kitsch, True Detective) arrives for a court-ordered trial residence, the townsfolk rally to charm and hoodwink him into staying. Under the guidance of an unemployed fisherman (Brendan Gleeson, Mr. Mercedes), they go to hilarious lengths to fabricate all the amenities of the big city and make it seem as though their sleepy town has everything Dr. Lewis could possibly want. Also starring Gordon Pinsent, Mark Critch, Cathy Jones and Liane Balaban.
- THE HUNTING (Drama, 4×60, Australia) *Exclusive Canadian Premiere* Begins streaming Friday, July 3
Winner of two 2019 Australian Academy of Cinema and Television Arts (AACTA) Awards, including Best Screenplay in Television and Best Guest or Supporting Actor in a Television Drama [Richard Roxburgh], THE HUNTING intimately and dramatically imagines the lives of four teenagers, their teachers and their families throughout the lead up, revelation and aftermath of a nude teen photo scandal. When two high school teachers discover students are sharing explicit photos of their underage friends and peers online, the revelation has unbearable consequences for their students and their families. Tackling themes of misogyny, privacy, sexuality and sexualisation, online exploitation, toxic masculinity and gender, the series uses this singular event as a way of exploring some of the most pressing issues for adolescents today.
- ON THE ROPES (Young Adult, 9×10, United States) Begins streaming Friday, July 10
Sonny Mendoza (Ryan Garcia, KSI vs. Logan Paul) dreams of attending a prestigious college summer program, but when he doesn’t get the scholarship money to go, he turns to his side passion for quick income: boxing.
- TOTAL ECLIPSE Seasons 1, 2 and 3 (Young Adult, 31×10, United States) Begins streaming Thursday, July 30
At Millwood High, Cassie (Mackenzie Ziegler, Nicky, Ricky, Dicky & Dawn) is a pensive teenager who is ditched by her childhood friends Diana (Emily Skinner, Andi Mack), Morgan (Devenity Perkins, Gina’s Journey: The Search for William Grimes, Boss Cheer) and Jenna (Nadia Turner). To cope with their bullying, she dreams of a world where she is an astronaut on the moon, a fantasy that she and her friends had devised as children.
- FORAGE (Lifestyle, 4×10, Canada) Begins streaming Friday, July 3
Follow Anishinaabe chef Shawn Adler into nature as he forages for unique wild foods that grow all around us throughout the year.
- ESCAPE TO THE CHATEAU Season 6 (Lifestyle, 4×60, United Kingdom) Begins streaming Friday, July 10
Dick Strawbridge and his partner Angel swap their two-bed flat in Essex for an abandoned French chateau. Can they bring its 45 rooms and acres of land back to life in under a year?
- THE HEAT: A KITCHEN (R)EVOLUTION (Documentary, 1×71, Canada) Begins streaming Friday, July 3
Restaurant kitchens are a pressurized stew of brutal hours, high stress and sleep deprivation. Acting out goes with the territory and anyone lower on the totem pole is fair game. But the familiar macho posturing of celebrity chefs has reached a tipping point. Now with an influx of women at the helm of restaurants, and a younger generation unwilling to submit to the brutal conditions once considered the norm, the rules of “kitchen culture” are being rewritten. THE HEAT: A KITCHEN (R)EVOLUTION was the Opening Night film for Hot Docs 2018 and nominated for two 2019 Canadian Screen Awards, including the Donald Brittain Award for Best Social/Political Documentary Program and Best Photography in a Documentary Program or Series.
- REBOOT: A FUTURE MUSEUM (Documentary, 1×52, Canada) Begins streaming Friday, July 17
What should a museum be in the digital age? The Canada Science and Technology Museum in Ottawa confronts this question when mould forces the sudden closure of its old building.
- AFTER MUNICH (Documentary, 1×78, 2019, Canada) Begins streaming Friday, July 24
Four women revisit the moment that changed their lives forever in the wake of the 1972 Munich Olympic Massacre.
- DURHAM COUNTY Season 2 (Drama, 6×60, Canada) Begins streaming Friday, July 3
More betrayal and terrifying secrets are unleashed when DURHAM COUNTY returns for another electrifying season. In Season 2, newly promoted homicide Detective Mike Sweeney (Hugh Dillon, Flashpoint) struggles to keep his family together as they try to come to terms with the anguish left behind by a serial killer. He also develops an intense bond with a brilliant but deeply troubled forensic psychiatrist named Pen Verrity (Michelle Forbes, Prison Break, True Blood), who works in his department.
- DAVINCI’S INQUEST Season 2 (Drama, 13×60, Canada) Begins streaming Friday, July 17
It starts with the puzzle of a dead body. The detectives of Homicide may have some of the answers; the pathologists have others. Ultimately, it is Vancouver Coroner Dominic Da Vinci (Nicholas Campbell, Naked Lunch) who must ensure that the dead are given a name, and the lessons from their passing are not forgotten.
THE BEST OF CBC:
- Past and current seasons of CBC series, including hit competition series BATTLE OF THE BLADES; crowd-pleasing dramas MURDOCH MYSTERIES, FRANKIE DRAKE MYSTERIES, HEARTLAND, and ANNE WITH AN E; acclaimed comedies STILL STANDING, TALLBOYZ, KIM’S CONVENIENCE, BARONESS VON SKETCH SHOW, and SCHITT’S CREEK; and classic CBC hits like THE KIDS IN THE HALL and BEING ERICA.
COMING IN AUGUST:
- ACKLEY BRIDGE Season 3
- AFRICA WITH ADE ADEPITAN
- DA KINK IN MY HAIR Season 2
- GAME FACE Season 2
- LINE OF DUTY Season 4
- YOUNG AND PROMISING Season 4