Highlights This Week
- HBO’s deeply moving documentary TRANSHOOD premieres Thursday, Nov. 12 at 9 p.m. ET. Filmed over five years in Kansas City, the film chronicles the lives of four young people – aged 4, 7, 12, and 15 at the start of filming – and their families as they navigate growing up transgender in America’s heartland. By sharing personal realities of how gender expression is reshaping their lives, the film explores how these families struggle and stumble through parenting, and how the kids are challenged and transformed as they experience the complexity of their identities. Directed by Sharon Liese, produced by Sasha Alpert (AUTISM: THE MUSICAL), and executive-produced by Kimberly Reed, TRANSHOOD offers a long-range understanding of transgender youth through the nuanced and authentic stories of Jay, Avery, Leena, and Phoenix.
- SHOWTIME’s eye-opening four-part docu-series THE REAGANS premieres Sunday, Nov. 15 at 8 p.m. ET, and re-examines one of the most powerful and polarizing political couples of our time. The historical series combines archival footage, exhaustive research, and first-person accounts from the couple’s inner circle to craft a revealing portrait of their unlikely rise from Hollywood to the presidency – and Nancy Reagan’s powerful position at the helm of their unprecedented partnership.
- Lin-Manuel Miranda returns as Lee Scoresby in Season 2 of HBO’s HIS DARK MATERIALS, debuting Monday, Nov. 16 at 9 p.m. ET. Based on Philip Pullman’s epic His Dark Materials fantasy trilogy, the series follows young orphan Lyra (Dafne Keen) on an incredible adventure into a parallel world where a human’s soul exists outside one’s body in the form of a talking animal. Season 2 begins after Lord Asriel (James McAvoy) has opened a bridge to a new world. Lyra, distraught over the death of her best friend Roger, follows Asriel into the unknown, and in a strange and mysterious abandoned city she meets Will (Amir Wilson), a boy from our world who is also running from a troubled past. Lyra and Will learn they are destined to reunite Will with his father but are constantly thwarted as a war begins to brew around them. Meanwhile, Mrs. Coulter (Ruth Wilson) searches for Lyra, determined to bring her home by any means necessary. HIS DARK MATERIALS follows a weekly release schedule with new episodes dropping Mondays at 9 p.m. ET.
What Critics Are Saying about HBO’s INDUSTRY
A millennial MAD MEN with plenty of swagger
“Underneath the spiky and unfamiliar exterior, though, is a beguilingly original series that ought to mark the launch of several major careers, not least those of its creators, barely into their thirties, for who this is a precocious debut”
– Patrick Smith, The Independent
– Kayla Cobb, Decider
Crave Audience Metrics
Crave continues to have Canadians covered, delivering the best movies, TV series, and original hits all in one place. Crave’s Top 3 stays locked for a second week. Showtime’s MOONBASE 8 debuts at #4. The British period comedy-drama film EMMA debuts at #8. Following his headline-making stint as host of SNL’s post-election episode, CHAPPELLE’S SHOW: UNCENSORED moves into the Top 10 at #9. Here are the Top 10 most-watched programs on Crave for the week of November 4 – 10:
- THE UNDOING
- STAR TREK: DISCOVERY
- LAST WEEK TONIGHT WITH JOHN OLIVER
- MOONBASE 8
- SOUTH PARK
- GAME OF THRONES
- CHAPPELLE’S SHOW: UNCENSORED
- THE BIG BANG THEORY
What to Watch for the Week of November 12 – November 18
*All Programming Subject to Change
- I AM GRETA begins streaming Friday, Nov. 13, following the young climate activist Greta Thunberg. Directed by Swedish filmmaker Nathan Grossman, the intimate documentary starts with her one-person school strike for climate action outside the Swedish Parliament. Grossman follows Greta, a shy student with Asperger’s, in her rise to prominence and tracks her galvanizing global impact as she sparks school strikes around the world. The film culminates with her astonishing wind-powered voyage across the Atlantic Ocean to speak at the UN Climate Action Summit in New York City.
- A new episode of HBO’s six-part docu-comedy, HOW TO…WITH JOHN WILSON, drops Friday, Nov. 13 at 11 p.m. ET. In the fourth episode, aptly titled “How to Cover Your Furniture” John Wilson explores the challenges of keeping an object in pristine condition while trying to live peacefully with his furniture destroying cat.
- The STARZ limited series FLESH AND BONE joins Crave Sunday, Nov. 15. From BREAKING BAD producer and writer Moira Walley-Beckett, the eight-episode series explores New York City through the eyes of Claire (Sarah Hay, Black Swan), an emotionally wounded but transcendent ballerina navigating the dysfunction and glamour of the ballet world. Claire’s self-destructive tendencies amid her vaulting ambitions drive her in compelling, unforeseeable ways, especially when she is confronted with the machinations of the company’s mercurial artistic director (Ben Daniels, HOUSE OF CARDS) and an unwelcome visitor from her past.
- HBO’s limited series THE UNDOING continues Sunday, Nov. 15 at 9 p.m. ET. In the fourth episode, Haley (Noma Dumezweni) begins to shape the narrative of the case and Franklin (Donald Sutherland) uses his resources to help his family.
- SHOWTIME’s limited series THE GOOD LORD BIRD comes to an end Sunday, Nov. 15 at 9 p.m. ET. In the series finale, John Brown (Ethan Hawke) and his remaining army take a last stand as more federal troops descend upon Harper’s Ferry. With John Brown captured, Onion (Joshua Caleb Johnson), truly on his own, risks his life to say his goodbyes to Brown.
- HBO’s new four-part documentary series MURDER ON MIDDLE BEACH premieres Sunday, Nov. 15 at 10 p.m. ET. From first-time filmmaker Madison Hamburg, the series examines Hamburg’s complicated journey to solve his mother’s brutal murder and absolve the people he loves. Investigators speculated this was a crime of passion, but without sufficient evidence, the case grew cold. Filmed over the course of eight years, Hamburg interviewed his family members and many others to learn more about his mother’s life and gather evidence in hopes of solving her murder. Along the way, he uncovers a web of familial and local secrets, connections to shadowy figures, and years-old resentments in his deceptively serene hometown.
- HBO’s biographical documentary CRAZY, NOT INSANE, directed and produced by Oscar-winner Alex Gibney (AGENTS OF CHAOS) and narrated by Laura Dern, premieres Wednesday, Nov. 18 at 9 p.m. ET. The film profiles forensic psychiatrist Dr. Dorothy Otnow Lewis, who has spent her life investigating the interior lives of violent people, working with numerous serial killers including Ted Bundy.
- All-new episodes this week include; STAR TREK: DISCOVERY (Friday, Nov. 13 at 9 p.m. ET); HOW TO…WITH JOHN WILSON (Friday, Nov. 13 at 11 p.m. ET); W5 (Friday, Nov. 13); WARRIOR (Friday, Nov. 13 at 10 p.m. ET); THE UNDOING (Sunday, Nov. 15 at 9 p.m. ET); THE SPANISH PRINCESS (Sun. Nov. 15); THE GOOD LORD BIRD (Sunday, Nov. 15 at 9 p.m. ET); LAST WEEK TONIGHT WITH JOHN OLIVER (Sunday, Nov. 15, live at 11 p.m. ET, on-demand the following morning); DESUS & MERO (Sunday, Nov. 15 at 11 p.m. ET); INDUSTRY (Monday, Nov. 16 at 10 p.m. ET); THE BOLD AND THE BEAUTIFUL (Tuesday, Nov. 17)
Complete listings for the week of November 12 – November 18
*All Programming Subject to Change
TRANSHOOD *Documentary* (November 12 at 9 p.m. ET)
WARRIOR, Season 2, Episode 7 (November 13 at 10 p.m. ET)
HOW TO WITH JOHN WILSON, Season 1, Episode 4 (November 13 at 11 p.m. ET)
REAL TIME WITH BILL MAHER, Season 18, Episode 34 (November 13, live at 10 p.m. ET, on-demand the following morning)
THE UNDOING, Season 1, Episode 4 (November 15 at 9 p.m. ET)
MURDER ON MIDDLE BEACH, Season 1, Episode1 *Series Premiere* (November 15 at 10 p.m. ET)
LAST WEEK TONIGHT WITH JOHN OLIVER, Season 7, Episode 30 (November 15, live at 11 p.m. ET, on-demand the following morning)
HIS DARK MATERIALS, Season 2, Episode 1 *Season Premiere* (November 16 at 9 p.m. ET)
INDUSTRY, Season 1, Episode 2 (November 16 at 10 p.m. ET)
CRAZY, NOT INSANE *Documentary* (November 18 at 9 p.m. ET)
DARK WATERS (November 13)
I AM GRETA (November 13)
DREAMLAND (November 18)
THE REAGANS, Season 1, Episode 1 *Series Premiere* (November 15 at 8 p.m. ET)
THE GOOD LORD BIRD, Season 1, Episode 7 *Season Finale* (November 15 at 9 p.m. ET)
DESUS & MERO, Season 2, Episode 61 (November 15 at 11 p.m. ET)
DRAGON: THE BRUCE LEE STORY (November 13)
FRUITVALE STATION (November 13)
GONE BABY GONE (November 13)
FLESH AND BONE, Full Series (November 15)
THE SPANISH PRINCESS PART 2, Season 2, Episode 6 (November 15)
GABRIELLE (November 18)
More Riveting TV to Watch
(NOT) HERO (November 13)
BEE & PUPPY CAT (November 13)
BLUE BLOODS, Season 10 (November 13)
JERSEY SHORE: FAMILY VACATION, Season 3, Episode 1 *Season Premiere* (November 13)
W5, Season 55, Episode 7 (November 13)
STAR TREK: DISCOVERY, Season 3, Episode 5 (November 13 at 9 p.m. ET)
THE BOLD AND THE BEAUTIFUL, Season 34, Episodes 36-40 (November 17)
DREAMLAND (November 18)
THE VOICE, Season 19, Episodes 8-9 (November 18)