SIRIUS Canada today announced its leading channel line-up for its subscription satellite radio service in Canada. With a full 100 channels of the best music, news, sports, and entertainment available, SIRIUS Canada will provide the most comprehensive satellite radio service in the country. SIRIUS will also be the only satellite radio provider to include 10 Canadian music and information stations in both English and French for all Canadians, including a multilingual service.
“We are launching SIRIUS Canada with 100 channels of music, entertainment, sports and information — the true A-List,” said Mark Redmond, President and CEO, SIRIUS Canada. “With 60 channels of commercial-free music, incredible sports coverage from the NFL, NHL, and the NBA, great entertainment programming from Maxim to Martha Stewart and up-to-the-minute news from CBC/Radio-Canada and the BBC, SIRIUS has it all.”
“Canadians will be able to experience SIRIUS in time for the holidays. As the fastest growing satellite radio provider in North America, SIRIUS will have the greatest depth and variety of any satellite radio company in Canada,” he added.
SIRIUS Canada’s premium satellite radio service will be available soon at Future Shop, Best Buy, London Drugs, The Source by Circuit City, Canadian Tire and many other leading retailers throughout Canada. Consumers wanting more information on the SIRIUS Canada service can visit: www.sirius-canada.ca. SIRIUS Canada’s premium subscription service will be priced at $14.99 a month.
With a full 100 channels, SIRIUS Canada will provide the most comprehensive satellite radio service in the country. SIRIUS Canada’s channel lineup features the best in A-List entertainment including 60 channels of commercial-free music, news, talk and sports programming. In addition, SIRIUS features specialty channels geared toward women, children and families.
SIRIUS Canada will offer a total of 60 commercial-free music stations to make up the widest range of music available. SIRIUS programmers will feature the best selections in rock, pop, country, Christian, jazz, hip hop, electronic, dance, R&B, Classical and show tunes.
- Pop – Featuring the top music from today and everyone’s favorites from yesterday. Pop channels include SIRIUS Hits-1 playing the songs at the top of the charts, Rock ‘n roll from the late 50’s to the early 60’s on SIRIUS Gold, the best music from the 80s on Big 80’s and BBC Radio 1 featuring new music from the U.K. Listeners will also be able to hear French artists like Jorane and Pierre Lapointe on Rock Velours and Energie(2).
- Rock – From today’s cutting-edge new sounds to all the great classic rock from yesterday. Rock channels include classic rock on Classic Vinyl, the latest alternative hits on Alt Nation, pure hard rock on Octane, Jimmy Buffet’s Radio Margaritaville, Stephen Van Zandt’s Underground Garage and Faction an action sports lifestyle channel. Listeners can also tune in to Canadian rock on Iceberg Radio and hear up-and-coming Canadian Francophone artists on bandeapart and English artists on CBC Radio 3.
- Electronic, Dance, Hip-Hop/R&B – Electronic and dance channels include trance and progressive house on Area 33, downtempo electronica on Chill, and the sounds of classic dance on The Strobe. Hip-Hop/R&B channels include raw Hip-Hop on Hip-Hop Nation, uncensored tracks on Eminem’s self-styled channel, Shade 45 and classic soul and Motown on Soul Town.
- Country – Featuring a wide range of country music from yesterday and today. Country stations include today’s biggest stars on New Country, classic country from The Roadhouse, the genre’s renegades and rogues on Outlaw Country and homegrown, heartfelt bluegrass music on Bluegrass.
- Jazz & Blues – Jazz & Blues channels featuring contemporary jazz on Planet Jazz, smooth jazz on Jazz Café, new age instrumental music on Spa73, and authentic blues on Sirius Blues.
- Standards and Classical – Featuring classic singers, big band music and show tunes. Channels include Standard Time, Broadway’s Best, Symphony Hall and SIRIUS Pops.
- Latin & International – The best in Latin and world music. Channels include today’s top Latin music on Universo Latina and music from around the world on The Globe.
SIRIUS Canada will provide the best in-depth sports coverage that will satisfy even the biggest Canadian sports fan. With live play-by-play action on three dedicated SIRIUS play-by-play channels, Canadian sports fans will be able to tune into their favourite NBA and NFL games throughout the season. In addition, SIRIUS Canada will broadcast a wide variety of NHL hockey games on a nightly and weekly basis. SIRIUS Sports channels will also feature news, talk and athlete interviews on ESPN Radio and ESPN News, live coverage, news, talk and opinion of the NFL on SIRIUS NFL Radio. In addition, SIRIUS Canada will be offering hard core Canadian sports fans the best in sports and talk on Hardcore Sports Radio, provided by Score Media.
SIRIUS News and Public Radio
SIRIUS Canada will carry a variety of news and public radio programming. These channels include CBC Radio One, Infoplus and Première Plus featuring Canadian news from CBC/Radio-Canada in both French and English, call-in talk radio from NPR Now, up-to-the minute financial and business news from Bloomberg Radio, and international news from CNN, BBC World News and RCI Plus a multilingual news and information channel.
Especially for Women
SIRIUS Canada will offer channels and programming geared toward Women including Martha Stewart Living Radio featuring shows on cooking, home and pet keeping, gardening, collecting and crafts as well as Cosmopolitan Radio (February 2006).
SIRIUS Canada will feature comedy channels that include uncensored comedy on Raw Dog and comedy for everyone on Laugh Break.
SIRIUS Canada will offer diverse talk-radio stations as part of the Canadian subscriber package. SIRIUS Canada Talk stations include news, information and entertainment for the Gay and Lesbian communities on SIRIUS Out Q, SIRIUS’ flagship talk station SIRIUS Stars, talk radio for guys on MAXIM Radio, entertainment industry news on E! Entertainment Radio, breaking news on ABC News/Talk, and news and information for commercial drivers on SIRIUS Trucking Network.
SIRIUS Canada will bring subscribers the world including Spanish-language entertainment and talk on Hispanic Talk, and Latin American news on BBC Mundo.
Within the 100 channel line-up, SIRIUS Canada is pleased to announce a total of 10 Canadian satellite radio channels in both English and French and one multilingual service. Canadian channels on SIRIUS include:
- CBC Radio One – Canada’s top-rated radio news and information source, featuring national and international headlines, in-depth business, political and arts reports and award-winning documentaries.
- CBC Radio 3 – dedicated to Canada’s burgeoning indie music and culture scene and the place to discover the best in new Canadian music first.
- Iceberg Radio – commercial free Canadian Rock provided by Standard Broadcasting and programmed by leading Canadian music programmer Liz Janik.
- Hardcore Sports Radio – Canadian sports news and talk provided by Score Media delivers sports information to the Canadian sports fan 24-7.
- Première Plus – A Radio-Canada channel providing French language daily reports and magazines covering news, current affairs and culture at home and abroad.
- Infoplus – All French language news 24 hours a day, combining the best of Radio-Canada and public broadcasters from around the world, including Radio France Internationale.
- bandeapart – a Radio-Canada channel dedicated to the best emerging Francophone pop, rock, electronica, hip-hop, punk and world music.
- Rock Velours – A French-language channel playing the best Canadian soft rock provided by Astral.
- Energie(2) – A French-language channel playing pop, modern rock and urban music in both French and English provided by Astral.
- RCI Plus -Radio Canada International programming for Canadians in English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Arabic, Russian, Ukrainian and Mandarin, which will be enhanced by programs from around the globe.