Boxing Day on TSN: 5.4 Million Viewers
TheÂ World JuniorsÂ continues to be Canadaâ€™s favourite holiday tradition. Overnight data from BBM Canada confirms that more than three quarters of a million people watched Team Canadaâ€™s 7:30 a.m. ET opening game against Germany on Boxing Day. The average audience ofÂ 755,000Â viewers was upÂ 93%Â compared to the tournamentâ€™s opening game last year, which featured the same teams. The audience peaked at more than 1.2 million viewers at 9:47 a.m. ET during the final minute of the game.Â
As well, TSNâ€™s live Boxing Day coverage of theÂ SPENGLER CUP, which featured Team Canadaâ€™s opening game vs. HC Vitkovice Steel, attracted an average audience ofÂ 692,000Â â€“ ranking as the most-watched SPENGLER CUP matchup on record.
TSNâ€™s live coverage of theÂ World JuniorsÂ and theÂ SPENGLER CUPÂ on Boxing Day attracted more thanÂ 5.4 millionÂ unique viewers in total.
Additional audience highlights from TSNâ€™s Boxing Day coverage of theÂ World JuniorsÂ andÂ SPENGLER CUPÂ are as follows:
- Overall, 2.7 million Canadians watched some part of the Canada-Germany matchup at the World Juniors, as Canada sealed a decisive 7-2 victory over Germany.
- Overall, almost 2.7 million Canadians tuned in to watch some part of Canadaâ€™s 5-4 win over HC Vitkovice Steel at theSPENGLER CUP, with the game peaking early in the third period at 950,000 viewers.
- TSNâ€™s live World Juniors coverage of the USA-Czech Republic game averaged 559,000 viewers â€“ marking a 32% increase over the tournamentâ€™s second round-robin game last year, which featured Slovakia-Russia. Overall, more than 2.6 million Canadians watched some part of USAâ€™s 5-1 win over Czech Republic.
Live coverage of theÂ SPENGLER CUPÂ concludes tomorrow (Tuesday, Dec. 31) with the Final at 6 a.m. ET on TSN2.
Coverage of theÂ World JuniorsÂ continues tomorrow (Tuesday, Dec. 31) on TSN and TSN2 with four games to end the tournamentâ€™s round-robin action, highlighted by the highly-anticipated tilt between Canada-USA at 11:30 a.m. ET on TSN.
Fans can also listen to theÂ World JuniorsÂ live on the following TSN Radio stations across the country:Â TSN Radio 1050 in Toronto,Â TSN Radio 690 in Montreal,Â TSN Radio 1290 in Winnipeg,Â TSN Radio 1200 in Ottawa,Â TSN Radio 1260 in Edmonton, andÂ TEAM 1040 in Vancouver. In addition, live radio streaming is also available on TSN.ca and on SiriusXM Radio through NHL Network Radio (Sirius 207/XM 211) and Canada Talks (SiriusXM 167).
TSNâ€™s remaining broadcast schedule forÂ 2014 IIHF WORLD JUNIOR CHAMPIONSHIPÂ is as follows:
Tuesday, Dec. 31
- Russia vs. Sweden at 8 a.m. ET
- Slovakia vs. Czech Republic at 8:30 a.m. ET (TSN2)
- Canada vs. USA at 11:30 a.m. ET
- Switzerland vs. Finland at 12 noon ET (TSN2)
- ENCORE: Canada vs. USA at 3:30 p.m. and 10 p.m. ET
Thursday, Jan. 2Â
- Quarter-final #1 at 6 a.m. ET
- Quarter-final #2 at 8:30 a.m. ET (TSN2)
- Quarter-final #3 at 11 a.m. ET
- Quarter-final #4 at 1:30 p.m. ET
Saturday, Jan. 4
- Semifinal #1 at 9 a.m. ET
- Semifinal #2 at 1 p.m. ET
Sunday, Jan. 5
- Bronze Medal Game at 9 a.m. ET
- Gold Medal Game at 1 p.m. ET
Source: BBM Canada
For electronic measurement data that dates back to 1994.Â Audiences prior to August 31, 2009 are based on BBM Nielsen Media Research Mark II meters.