SUPER BOWL XLVIII is Second Most-Watched on Record in Canada with 8 Million Viewers on CTV and RDS
SUPER BOWL XLVIIIÂ is the second most-watched SUPER BOWL broadcast on record, with an average audience ofÂ 8 millionÂ viewersÂ on CTV and RDS (CTV: 7.3 million; RDS: 610,000), preliminary data from BBM Canada confirms. The most-watched television program of the past two years, the Seattle Seahawksâ€™ commanding 43-8 victory over the Denver Broncos attracted more thanÂ 18 million unique viewersÂ â€“ or more thanÂ one-in-two CanadiansÂ (53%) â€“ on CTV or RDS. In 2012, SUPER BOWL XLVIÂ attracted 8.2 million viewers in Canada.Â
Among the highlights:
- With drum solos, gleaming gold jackets, and a massive fireworks display, the explosive halftime performance byBruno Mars and theÂ Red Hot Chili PeppersÂ captivated Canadian viewers, as audience levels forÂ SUPER BOWL XLVIIIon CTV and RDS peaked at nearlyÂ 10 million viewersÂ during the highly-anticipated halftime show.
- The game on CTV received impressive 65% â€“ 74% shares among key adult and male demographics in English Canada.
- It was the most watched SUPER BOWL on record in Vancouver, Calgary, and Edmonton. In the Vancouver market, fans showed their support for the Seahawks, withÂ SUPER BOWL XLVIIIÂ growing 44% among A25-54 (to a 29 rating) and 33% among A18-49 (to a 27.2 rating) compared to last year.
Once again, theÂ SUPER BOWLÂ proved to be the premier television property for Canadian advertisers and a coveted platform for key sponsors, including Labatt Breweries of Canada, Ford of Canada, McDonaldâ€™s Restaurants of Canada, and Nissan Canada.
Strategically scheduled in the coveted post-SUPER BOWLÂ timeslot, CTVâ€™s new hit original seriesÂ MASTERCHEF CANADAscored the other decisive win of the night, attracting a series-high average audience ofÂ 1.6 million viewersÂ nationally and capturing the most-watched original Canadian program overnight audience this broadcast year.
- With series-high ratings in all key markets with total viewers and key adult demos, the culinary competition was also the top post-game broadcast since SUPER BOWL XLVI.
- MASTERCHEF CANADAÂ delivered 28% more viewers than last yearâ€™s post-SUPER BOWL program, MOTIVE (1.23 million).
- Attracting nearly 5 million unique viewers overall, the episode actually grew its audience in its second half hour.
- The episode will be rebroadcast tonight in its regular 8 p.m. ET/PT timeslot.
NFL on Bell Media
The 2013-14 NFL season is the final year before the recently announced multi-year extension of Bell Media and the National Football Leagueâ€™s broadcast partnership that brings the 4 p.m. Sunday package to CTV and TSN for the first time, allowing for a full day of Sunday NFL programming on Bell Media channels in addition to the existing agreement for primetime games on TSN.