Powered by superhuman performance, Canadians made MARVEL’S AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D. the most-watched program of the night and the biggest debut of any series this fall, and indeed nearly the past decade. Bigger than the premieres of NCIS (+4%) and NCIS:LA (22%), MARVEL’S AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D. premiered with 2.7 million viewers, making good on its promise as fall’s most-anticipated new series. CTV won Night Two of Premiere Week Tuesday as the most-watched network in Canada for the second night in a row. Nationally, one in three English Canadians watching television at 8 p.m. last night were tuned to MARVEL’S AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D. among the key demos.
With the addition of four new series to its completely revamped Tuesday night lineup, CTV improved its primetime average by 23% over Tuesday nights last fall, crushing its closest competitor which saw double-digit drops throughout primetime vs. last year’s premieres. New comedies THE GOLDBERGS (1.3 million viewers) and TROPHY WIFE (1.2 million viewers) instantly become the top comedy debuts of the season, while newcomer PERSON OF INTEREST (1.6 million) grew 27% compared to its average audience last fall on City, and 43% over its 2012 season premiere.
With four of the Top 6 programs on television last night, CTV won Tuesday nationally with total viewers and all key demos, and in the metered markets with key demos. A closer look at Tuesday:
- Nationally, CTV saw an 89% audience growth in the 8 p.m. timeslot versus last fall.
- MARVEL’S AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D. had more total viewers than either NCIS or NCIS:LA (Global/CBS), and more than twice the ratings than those programs in the Toronto and Calgary markets with the key adult demos 18-49 and 25-54.
- MARVEL’S AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D. debuted to 2.7 million total viewers, ranking as the top fall debut since CSI:NY in 2004.
- In Ontario alone, MARVEL’S AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D. delivered more adults 18-34 than any other program delivered nationally.
- Meanwhile on CTV Two, THE VOICE was #3 from 8-10 p.m. with 883,000 viewers, more than doubling the audience of DADS and BROOKLYN NINE-NINE (407,000/352,000; City/FOX), and NEW GIRL and THE MINDY PROJECT (332,000/316,000; City/FOX).
- The 9 and 9:30 p.m. timeslots saw growth of 5%, and 45% vs. last fall’s average.
- The Goldbergs and Trophy Wife delivered the biggest debuts of a comedy in Canada since CTV’s Anger Management last season.
- In the west, CTV’s broadcasts of new comedies saw double and triple digit growth in all demos from last fall’s timeslot average in Vancouver and Edmonton.
- PERSON OF INTEREST saw double-digit growth over the Season 2 broadcast on City (total viewers and key demos).
- PERSON OF INTEREST led the hour with total viewers, A18-49, and A25-54.
- PERSON OF INTEREST led the 10 p.m. timeslot with total viewers in Toronto, Edmonton, and Calgary.
- Head-to-head, PERSON OF INTEREST delivered 45% more viewers than CHICAGO FIRE (Global/NBC).
All of last night’s episodes on CTV and CTV Two are available across CTV’s digital platforms on CTV.ca, the CTV App, the CTV Mobile channel and through video on demand partners such as Bell Fibe.