Prairie Dog Film + Television is pleased to announce that the second season of the Gemini Award-winning dramatic television series Blackstone will premiere on APTN January 11, 2012.
Set on the fictional Blackstone First Nation, the riveting stories that weave through the new season begins where the first season’s cliffhanger finale left off. Season 2 will reveal what happened, and continue to follow the tumultuous lives of Blackstone’s residents as they deal with issues of toxic water and foster care.
“Blackstone gets under your skin; it makes you think, feel and want more,” says Ron E. Scott, Executive Producer, Writer and Director of Blackstone. “I am humbled to have this opportunity to be involved in a show that has reached into lives and has spoken into subjects that have not been presented on Canadian television.”
ABOUT THE CAST
Returning is the talented ensemble cast of Carmen Moore (Gemini Award nominee), Eric Schweig, Michelle Thrush (Gemini Award winner), Nathaniel Arcand, Roseanne Supernault, Steven Cree Molison, Andrea Menard, Justin Rain and Ashley Callingbull. Joining the series are acclaimed First Nations actors Tantoo Cardinal, Gary Farmer, Georgina Lightning and Michelle Latimer, as well as Cameron Bancroft, Frank Cassini, Vincent Gale and Lori Triolo.
ABOUT THE SERIES
Intense, compelling and confrontational, Blackstone is an unmuted exploration of First Nations’ power and politics on the fictional Blackstone First Nation. An uncompromising story told from an Aboriginal point of view, Blackstone is in sharp contrast to sympathetic stories about First Nations’ people being victimized by outside forces. While the dramatization can be dark and all too real, Blackstone is foremost a story of hope and reconciliation in its portrayal of Native people fighting for a better life in their community.
Fun facts about the series:
- Blackstone is an original Canadian drama. It’s the little show that could – and is!!
- Blackstone is an important and timely series that tackles real-life issues relevant to First Nations today – topics like water problems, foster care, missing women, and addiction.
- Blackstone stars an incredible ensemble cast, considered the “who’s who” of Canada’s Aboriginal talent.
- Blackstone is award-winning… so far, the first season has won 2 Geminis (National), 2 Leos (BC), and 3 Rosies (Alberta).
- Michelle Thrush won the Gemini Award for Best Actress – making her the 2nd Aboriginal woman to ever win this award. Also, cast member Carmen Moore was up for Best Actress alongside Michelle – meaning two Blackstone women were nominated in this highly esteemed category!
- They’re loving it “down under”! Season 1 of Blackstone is currently broadcasting in New Zealand on Maori Television.
- Season 1 of Blackstone has ranked as one of APTN’s top-rated and most popular programs.