On Saturday, June 23, people across Canada can celebrate National Aboriginal Day with the Aboriginal Peoples Television Network (APTN), which is broadcasting its annual Aboriginal Day Live concerts from The Forks in Winnipeg and the First Nations University of Canada in Regina.
Broadcast across the country LIVE on APTN and APTN HD and on select radio stations across Canada, the exclusive three-and-a-half hour broadcast of Aboriginal Day Livewill air on Saturday, June 23 starting at 8:00 pm CT (7:00 pm MT; 9:00 pm ET).
Radio stations that have partnered with APTN to bring these concerts to the airwaves are the following:
- Alberta: CFWE (various call numbers) will broadcast across the province while Hawk Radio 89.1 FM will broadcast to the Samson Cree and Hobbema communities
- Manitoba: NCI 105.5 FM or in Winnipeg only, tune into Streetz FM 104.7
- Northern British Columbia, across Yukon, and the McKenzie Delta: CHON 98.1 FM
- Ontario: Wawatay Radio Network, which serves much of Northwestern Ontario including the Nishnawbe Aski Nation and Treaty 3 area
- Saskatchewan: Missinipi Broadcasting Corporation’s (MBC—various call numbers) will broadcast live across the province
- Quebec: Naskapi Northern Wind Radio Station, CJCK Radio 89.9 FM, serving the Kawawachikamach First Nation
While you watch or listen to the concerts, you will get acquainted with hosts for the events. Winnipeg’s hosts include Don Kelly and Candy Palmater while Regina’s event is being hosted by Crystle Lightning and Jennifer Podemski.
To make the Aboriginal Day Live concerts even more exciting and interactive, the event will also feature the “Webstage Pass” hosted by APTN’s own Chantelle Ducharme. Use your laptop or tablet on the day of the event to experience behind-the-scenes interviews with artists, live streaming of the concerts, interviews with artists, trivia questions, live Twitter chat (hashtag#ADL2012), and more! Visit www.aboriginaldaylive.com/
In its sixth year, these free concerts will feature some of the biggest names in Aboriginal music. The Regina line up includes headliner Buffy Sainte-Marie; The Local Onlyz; Plex;Riva; Stevie Salas and Bernard Fowler; and Samian. The Winnipeg line up includes headliners Kashtin for an exclusive, one-night reunion; Christa Couture; Beatrice Deer; Indian City; Inez; Adam James; and Joey Stylez joined by Lil Pappie.
For more information on APTN’s Aboriginal Day Live and Celebration 2012 visitwww.aboriginaldaylive.com.