SUPER BOWL XLVIII is the second most-watched SUPER BOWL broadcast on record, with an average audience of 8 million viewers on CTV and RDS (CTV: 7.3 million; RDS: 610,000), preliminary data from BBM Canada confirms. The most-watched television program of the past two years, the Seattle Seahawks’ commanding 43-8 victory over the Denver Broncos attracted more than 18 million unique viewers – or more than one-in-two Canadians (53%) – on CTV or RDS. In 2012, SUPER BOWL XLVI attracted 8.2 million viewers in Canada.
Among the highlights:
- With drum solos, gleaming gold jackets, and a massive fireworks display, the explosive halftime performance byBruno Mars and the Red Hot Chili Peppers captivated Canadian viewers, as audience levels for SUPER BOWL XLVIIIon CTV and RDS peaked at nearly 10 million viewers during the highly-anticipated halftime show.
- The game on CTV received impressive 65% – 74% shares among key adult and male demographics in English Canada.
- It was the most watched SUPER BOWL on record in Vancouver, Calgary, and Edmonton. In the Vancouver market, fans showed their support for the Seahawks, with SUPER BOWL XLVIII growing 44% among A25-54 (to a 29 rating) and 33% among A18-49 (to a 27.2 rating) compared to last year.
Once again, the SUPER BOWL proved to be the premier television property for Canadian advertisers and a coveted platform for key sponsors, including Labatt Breweries of Canada, Ford of Canada, McDonald’s Restaurants of Canada, and Nissan Canada.
Strategically scheduled in the coveted post-SUPER BOWL timeslot, CTV’s new hit original series MASTERCHEF CANADAscored the other decisive win of the night, attracting a series-high average audience of 1.6 million viewers nationally and capturing the most-watched original Canadian program overnight audience this broadcast year.
- With series-high ratings in all key markets with total viewers and key adult demos, the culinary competition was also the top post-game broadcast since SUPER BOWL XLVI.
- MASTERCHEF CANADA delivered 28% more viewers than last year’s post-SUPER BOWL program, MOTIVE (1.23 million).
- Attracting nearly 5 million unique viewers overall, the episode actually grew its audience in its second half hour.
- The episode will be rebroadcast tonight in its regular 8 p.m. ET/PT timeslot.
NFL on Bell Media
The 2013-14 NFL season is the final year before the recently announced multi-year extension of Bell Media and the National Football League’s broadcast partnership that brings the 4 p.m. Sunday package to CTV and TSN for the first time, allowing for a full day of Sunday NFL programming on Bell Media channels in addition to the existing agreement for primetime games on TSN.