CBC Sports and National Pro Fastpitch (NPF) recently announced a partnership that will see live coverage of 13 games played by Canada’s national softball team, known as the Canadian Wild, available on CBC Sports streaming platforms and on CBC Gem. The NPF league season runs May-August and includes six U.S.-based affiliate teams featuring the most highly decorated female players from U.S. universities and top players from around the world. Scheduled as one game per week on average, the games available via CBC Sports will live stream within Canada at cbcsports.ca, the CBC Gem streaming service, and via the CBC Sports app for iOS and Android devices.
“We are delighted with the partnership between the NPF and CBC Sports to carry a Canadian Wild game of the week feature on CBC Sports’ website and app. I know Canadian softball fans will appreciate following our team on the popular and accessible CBC Sports platforms,” said Hugh Mitchener, CEO, Softball Canada.
“With the return of softball to the Olympic Games next year, CBC Sports is pleased to be the home for Canadians to cheer on their national team’s journey this season,” said Chris Wilson, Interim Head of CBC Sports. “With Tokyo 2020 qualifications around the corner, the country’s top female athletes will no doubt impress and entertain viewers with their passion and skill.”
The NPF league, entering its 16th season, is the most ethnically diverse professional sports league in the world, with three complete international teams participating in the 138 game regular season. Those teams, Australia (the Aussie Peppers), Canada (the Canadian Wild), and China (the Beijing Eagles), along with the partial roster of Mexico (on the Cleveland Comets), will look to the NPF season to prepare them for upcoming qualifiers for the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020. The Canadian Wild team is based out of Marion, Illinois.
Canadian Wild games to stream live on CBC Sports platforms are as follows:
(A) = Away, (H) = Home
- Saturday, June 1 at 6 p.m. ET (3 p.m. PT) vs. Beijing Eagles – Daytona Beach, Florida (A)
- Saturday, June 8 at 7 p.m. ET (4 p.m. PT) vs. USSSA Pride – Marion, Illinois (H)
- Saturday, June 15 at 4 p.m. ET (1 p.m. PT) vs. Beijing Eagles – Cleveland, Ohio (H, in Cleveland)
- Saturday, June 15 at 7 p.m. ET (4 p.m. PT) vs. Cleveland Comets – Cleveland, Ohio (A)
- Saturday, June 22 at 7 p.m. ET (4 p.m. PT) vs. Chicago Bandits – Marion, Illinois (H)
- Saturday, June 29 at 8:30 p.m. ET (5:30 p.m. PT) vs. Chicago Bandits – Rosemont, Illinois (A)
- Monday, July 1 at 6 p.m. ET (3 p.m. PT) vs. Chicago Bandits – Rosemont, Illinois (A)
- Monday, July 1 at 8:30 p.m. ET (5:30 p.m. PT) vs. Chicago Bandits – Rosemont, Illinois (A)
- Saturday, July 6 at 6 p.m. ET (3 p.m. PT) vs. Aussie Peppers – Mankato, Minnesota (A)
- Saturday, July 6 at 8:30 p.m. ET (5:30 p.m. PT) vs. Aussie Peppers – Mankato, Minnesota (A)
- Saturday, July 20 at 5:30 p.m. ET (2:30 p.m. PT) vs. USSSA Pride – Viera, Florida (A)
- Saturday, July 20 at 8 p.m. ET (5 p.m. PT) vs. USSSA Pride – Viera, Florida (A)
- Saturday, July 27 at 7 p.m. ET (4 p.m. PT) vs. Cleveland Comets – Marion, Illinois (H)
As part of its ongoing five-year partnership, now in its second year, CBC Sports will also once again offer exclusive Canadian live streaming coverage of the upcoming Canada Cup International Softball Championship. The event, held in Surrey, British Columbia from July 8-14, annually draws top female athletes and teams from around the world, including Team Canada.