CBC today announced the launch of CBC Gem, the national public broadcaster’s new streaming service, offering more than 4000 hours of live and on-demand programming for free. Available now as Canada’s destination for acclaimed, authentically Canadian programming and a curated selection of best-in-class content from around the world, CBC Gem provides live and on-demand access to CBC’s full programming slate spanning drama, comedy, factual entertainment, documentaries, arts, kids, sports and national and local news programming, including the ability to live stream CBC TV at any time with access to 14 CBC channels and their local newscasts across the country. The streaming service also offers French-language programming from ICI Radio-Canada.
CBC will also collaborate with new partners in order to expand the CBC Gem streaming library and offer additional Canadian and international content. A new partnership between CBC and homegrown success story Wattpad, the global multiplatform entertainment company for original stories and the world’s most popular social storytelling platform, will offer emerging Canadian writers the opportunity to create exclusive content for CBC Gem, with more details to be confirmed in the new year. The streaming service also offers more than 100 acclaimed Canadian feature films, available ad-free in partnership with Telefilm Canada, with a selection of films from the National Film Board of Canada, including Indigenous projects, to be added in the coming year.
“We are in the midst of a renaissance of great television programming, and we want to make sure Canadians have a place in this new world of globalized television—a place that is theirs,” said Catherine Tait, President & CEO, CBC/Radio-Canada. “With the launch of CBC Gem, our goal is to offer not just CBC programming but the best Canadian content from across the country by seeking out new partnerships with a wide range of producers, distributors and publishers.”
“CBC Gem is Canada’s home for the best content this country has to offer in addition to a curated selection of acclaimed programming from around the world,” said Gave Lindo, Executive Director, OTT Programming, CBC. “We will collaborate with new partners to continue to expand our library and invest in delivering the best user experience, to ensure that our streaming service is a distinct destination for audiences of all ages, on all platforms.”
The growing streaming library available on CBC Gem is supported by ongoing acquisitions from key Canadian distribution partners, including A71 Entertainment, Elevation Pictures, eOne, levelFILM and Mongrel Media, and international partners BBC Studios, Fremantle International, ITV Studios Global Entertainment and Sky Vision.
CBC Gem is available for free as an App for iOS and Android devices and online at cbcgem.ca, and on television via Apple TV and Google Chromecast. An ad-free premium membership is also available for $4.99 per month, which also provides access to a live stream of CBC News Network. All children’s programming is always provided ad-free within CBC Gem.
CBC Gem is exclusive to Canada. All content is available with Closed Captioning, and Described Video is available for most on-demand content.
CBC Member – FREE (registration required):
- Live stream CBC TV, including access to all 14 local channels from across the country and their news broadcasts
- Watch current and past seasons of favourite shows on demand
- Resume watching programs on any device
- Ad-free children’s programming
CBC Member – Premium:
For $4.99 a month (with the first month free of charge), Canadians can upgrade their viewing experience to enjoy additional features and content:
- Watch on-demand episodes without ads
- Live stream CBC News Network 24/7
CBC Gem Programming Highlights:
- All episodes of new CBC original dramaNORTHERN RESCUE (10×60), starring William Baldwin and Kathleen Robertson, will be available to stream exclusively in Canada on CBC Gem starting Friday, March 1.
- Past and current seasons of CBC series, including acclaimed comedies KIM’S CONVENIENCE, BARONESS VON SKETCH SHOWand SCHITT’S CREEK; factual entertainment favourite THE GREAT CANADIAN BAKING SHOW; crowd-pleasing dramas MURDOCH MYSTERIES, ANNE WITH AN E and HEARTLAND; and classic CBC hits like THE KIDS IN THE HALL and BEING ERICA.
- Renowned programming from around the world including: FORTITUDE (Season 1) with Stanley Tucci; international hit THE GREAT BRITISH BAKING SHOW(Seasons 1-8); LUTHER starring Idris Elba (Seasons 1-4); PORTLANDIA (Seasons 1-5); TOP OF THE LAKE: CHINA GIRL; THE TUDORS (Seasons 1 – 4); miniseries VANITY FAIR; and BAFTA Award-winning series WALLANDER (Seasons 1-4) with Kenneth Branagh; with Emmy Award®-winning LITTLE DORRIT starring Claire Foy (The Crown) available later this month.
- CBC News award-winning news and investigative programming available live and on demand, including THE NATIONAL, MARKETPLACE, THE FIFTH ESTATE and POWER AND POLITICS, in addition to livestream access to 14 local news broadcasts across the country.
- More than 500 hours of Canadian and international documentary storytelling, including CBC DOCS POV’s critically acclaimed 14 & Muslim; THE NATURE OF THINGS three-part series Equus: Story of the Horse; CBC Docs Special Presentation In Search of a Perfect Worldwith Peter Mansbridge; and CBC SHORT DOCS’ Fast Horse, Sundance Film Festival 2019 selection and Best Documentary Work Short Format winner at the 2018 imagineNATIVE Film + Media Arts Festival.
- More than 200 hours of ad-free children’s programming, including CBC Kids’ favourites ADDISON, BECCA’S BUNCH, DOT,THE FURCHESTER HOTEL and TRUE AND THE RAINBOW KINGDOM.
- CBC Sports’ ROAD TO THE OLYMPIC GAMESavailable live and on demand, with upcoming highlights including FIS World Cup Alpine, Cross Country, Freestyle Skiing, Ski Jumping and Nordic Combined; IBSF World Cup Bobsleigh and Skeleton; and the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2019 from Saitama, Japan.
- More than 100 buzzworthy Canadian feature films, representing the best of contemporary Canadian film, available ad-free in partnership with Telefilm Canada. Titles include: Barney’s Version(2010, Richard J. Lewis), Cairo Time (2009, Ruba Nada), Meditation Park (2017, Mina Shum), Midnight’s Children (2012, Deepa Mehta) and Mommy (2014, Xavier Dolan), with upcoming titles including Jean of the Joneses (2016, Stella Meghie) and Canadian Screen Award-winning Maudie (2016, Aisling Walsh) as well as Oscar®-nominated films Brooklyn (2015, John Crowley) and Incendies (2010, Denis Villeneuve). New homegrown films will be added each week, spanning a wide range of genres and featuring diverse, accomplished filmmakers.
- French programming from ICI Tou.TV streaming service including #DANSLATOILE, 1001 NUITSand TRANSFORMATRUC.