Bell Media announced today that Crave is evolving into a bilingual TV and streaming service next week, offering more than 6,000 hours of exclusive new French-language content. As part of the change, Bell Media’s Super Écran becomes available over-the-top for the first time as an add-on to Crave. The updated bilingual Crave officially debuts on Tuesday, January 28 through participating television providers and streaming platforms.
For existing subscribers, Crave will immediately offer hundreds of French titles totalling more than 5,000 additional hours at no extra cost. The expanded offering will launch with the new Crave Original Series POUR TOUJOURS PLUS UN JOUR, an exclusive sneak peek of Canal D’s SUR LES TRACES D’UN TUEUR EN SÉRIE, and more made-in-Québec productions. French-language versions of some of the current SHOWTIME programming and the library HBO programming that have made Crave so successful will also be available.
With the new Crave + Super Écran add-on, French-language programming grows to more than 6,000 hours with more than 20 new releases per month. Crave + Super Écran also features additional original Québécois programming as well as French-language versions of current HBO programming and hit Hollywood movies.
Bell Media also confirmed today that as part of its exclusive long-term deal with Warner Bros. International Television Distribution, it has secured French-language rights to select original HBO Max programming that will be featured on Crave later this year.
“Our strategy is to make Crave the essential entertainment option in Canada, and today’s announcement strengthens that goal,” said Randy Lennox, President, Bell Media. “As a bilingual service, Crave’s offering becomes even more exciting.”
“We are so proud to launch a bilingual Crave, featuring not only exclusive French-language programming from Crave’s already robust line-up of hit TV and movies but, more importantly, dozens of new Crave Originals made in Québec for French-speaking audiences across the country,” said Karine Moses, President, Bell Media Québec and Bell’s Vice Chair, Québec. “With the new Crave, we aim to solidify our presence in the Québec market in addition to promoting the Québec’s solid production know-how in the rest of Canada.”
“Crave continues to strengthen its position as an unrivalled value proposition with its extensive selection of the world’s premium TV and film content,” said Tracey Pearce, President, Distribution and Pay, Bell Media. “And it continues to get better – we look forward to bringing select HBO Max programming in English and French to Crave later this year.”
The updated Crave continues to be available in multiple configurations, giving subscribers the flexibility to choose the programming that best suits their needs and preferences: Crave
- An Internet-only subscription to Crave is $9.99/month (plus applicable taxes) and includes exclusive access to award-winning English and French programming.
- The service immediately features more than 250 French-language TV series including seven dozen original Québec productions at launch, such as SORTEZ-MOI DE MOI, EDGAR, MIRAGE, LE CAMPUS, MON PÈRE, TUEUR D’ENFANTS, and CRIMES SEXUELS.
- Coming in 2020 are French versions of acquired series like PICARD, DOLLFACE, and DOOM PATROL, as well as the Crave Original CANADA’S DRAG RACE.
- More than 70 programs from the HBO library like SEX AND THE CITY, WESTWORLD, and TRUE DETECTIVE and two dozen current SHOWTIME series like BILLIONS, THE L WORD: GENERATION Q, RAY DONOVAN, and HOMELAND will be available in French.
- Additionally, the service continues to feature thousands of hours of English-language content such as Crave Originals like LETTERKENNY and NEW EDEN, current SHOWTIME programming, select HBO library content and previous seasons of some current HBO hits, a collection of VICE programming, acclaimed TV series, kids’ programming from WOW! Unlimited Media, and much more.
Crave + Super Écran
- An Internet-only subscription to Crave + Super Écran is an additional $9.99/month ($19.98 total, plus applicable taxes) and includes all the great content mentioned above, plus an additional 1,000 hours of French-language content, adding up to more than 400 films and documentaries and 100 TV series, with 20 new titles released per month.
- Like the Super Écran linear TV channel, the Super Écran add-on features blockbuster Hollywood hits and homegrown Québec movies. French films available at launch include ASTÉRIX: LE SECRET DE LA POTION MAGIQUE, SPIDER-MAN: LOIN DES SIENS, MIDSOMMAR, and QU’EST-CE QU’ON A ENCORE FAIT AU BON DIEU and coming soon JEUNE JULIETTE, THE HUSTLE, ANGRY BIRDS 2, LA CHUTE DE L’EMPIRE AMÉRICAIN, and more.
- Among the Original productions on Crave + Super Écran is the hit Québec series MADAME LEBRUN.
- Ongoing current series from HBO at launch are THE OUTSIDER, THE NEW POPE, and, coming soon, AVENUE 5.
Crave’s “Movies + HBO” and “STARZ” add-ons remain available in English. Super Écran remains available as a television subscription.